Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Adam's First Plane Trip 11/1/12-11/2/12

As part of my step 2 medical exam, I had to fly to Chicago to take the Clinical Skills part of the exam.  Since Adam is still so little, I had a really hard time thinking about leaving him home without me.  Luckily, my mom offered to fly with us and watch Adam while I took the 8 hour exam.  So off the 3 of us went to Chicago.  We left on November 1st.  Adam did great on the plane ride, he ate on the way up and was sleeping on the way down, so we didnt have much to worry about in terms of screaming little guy on the airplane.  Once we got to Chicago, we took the shuttle to the hotel.  Apparently the hotel had just undergone some major renovations, so they were having a big party for all of their customers to check out their new look.  This meant free food and drinks for us! We tested many yummy dishes and desserts and then decided to head upstairs for bed.  The hotel was nice enough to give us a crib for Adam to sleep in and a refrigerator for his milk, which made life a lot easier.  This was going to be my first full day away from Adam, which I was really not looking forward to, so it was nice to have everything organized the night before.

Adam slept okay, he did wake up a few times.  It appeared he did not like this new crib with open sides, since he is very used to his bassinet which is smaller and enclosed on the sides.  I got enough sleep to function the next day and take the Exam.  Mom did awesome with Adam and getting the hotel all packed up since they wouldn't let us get a later checkout so that I could help pack up... BOO.  When I got back to the hotel, Mom had Adam all set and ready to go, so we headed on the shuttle back to the airport.  Our plane was a little delayed, but Adam was very patient and enjoyed flirting with the young girls across the seats from us in the waiting area.  He would laugh and smile at them, which they thought was just the greatest thing.  Then he crashed out, and slept the whole way up in the airplane.  Yet another ride without any crying! I was so impressed and glad that he was so wonderful.  It was also a nice test of how easy it could be to travel with him.  We will be doing it again in December when we head down to Texas for a residency interview, so it will be interesting to see if he still behaves as well!
 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment